Dear Miss Card Etiquette,
Is it appropriate to send out a card to advertise our business? Or should sending cards just be something that is done during the holiday season?
Certainly! Almost any ocassion where you might call someone to thank or congratulate them, or pass on a bit of exciting news, can be a perfect ocassion for sending a card. Unlike corporate gift giving, which can raise questions of professional propriety if not handled with great care, it’s almost impossible to go wrong with a greeting card.
On a strictly business level, you can send:
• Announcement cards when your company debuts a new product or opens a new office
• A thank you note to acknowledge a business referral
• Thank you cards to employees who finish important projects
• Encouragement cards for employees and associates facing milestone projects or other daunting tasks
• Congratulations to someone who’s earned new professional credentials, or won professional awards or other recognition
• Celebratory cards for business anniversaries
• Congratulations on a promotion or new job
• … and more.
In general: If you’d appreciate someone saying thanks, or good job, or good luck, or congratulations to you for a particular event or milestone, someone else would probably appreciate hearing it from you as well!
On a more personal level, it’s generally appropriate to send cards when you want to:
• Wish someone a speedy recovery from an illness or surgery
• Congratulate someone on a wedding or significant anniversary
• Send good wishes to the parents of a new baby
• Congratulate someone on their retirement
• Send condolences on the death of an associate or a close family member
Generally your options for personal events is somewhat more limited in a business context. A good rule of thumb is to send a card for any happy business or professional event you’d like, but only send personal cards for events everyone knows about, unless you have a more personally friendly relationship with the recipient.
We carry a colorful assortment of all-occasion cards, as well as a basic assortment of elegant petite all-occasion cards just perfect for marking almost any non-holiday event.