After reading Befuddled in Barrow’s truly tragic dilemma, I thought it might be good to clarify a bit of something in regards to the “Thinking of You” card I recommended to her … lest the rest of my dear readers make the mistake of assuming ‘Thinking of You’ cards are only for tragedies. Really, they’re not. They are, exactly as they say, for whenever you’re thinking of someone.
Personally, I think they’re one of the most useful and versatile of all greeting cards … and to prove my point, here are 5 instances when you can use a Thinking of You card that you may never have thought of!
- Happy Birthday: Especially for a friend or relative you may not have kept in close contact with. You do think of people on their birthdays, do you not?
- Condolences (for a pet): Perhaps you don’t feel entirely comfortable sending a traditional condolence card to a friend who’s pet has recently died, but you know your friend is heartbroken and you want to show him/her some support? Well then, you’re … you guessed it … thinking of them. Yes indeed.
- Wish You Were Here: On vacation? Is a friend gone on an extended trip somewhere? Do you wish someone were there with you, instead of where ever they are? Skip the corny “Weather is lovely, wish you were here” postcard, and send a nice Thinking of You card instead. Unless your friend appreciates corny. Then go ahead and find a corny Thinking of You card.
- Happy Anniversary (for someone else): The best friend who’s wedding you were a bridesmaid at? Your parents? Anyone else close to you who’s celebrating an anniversary? Let them know you’re Thinking of Them …it’s surprisingly heartwarming to know your dear ones actually notice your anniversary. (Brownie points to be scored with the in-laws here, folks!)
- Appreciation: Not quite a thank you card, but close. Maybe you’ve just won a prestigious competition, and you think back to the person who mentored you early on. Maybe you’re actually doing something you’ve always dreamed of, and you think of the teacher back in school who told you they just knew you’d do it someday. If someone ever gave you a hand up, or a pat on the back, and really made a difference in doing it, don’t you think they’d love knowing you remember and appreciate it? What a lovely reason to be thinking of someone …
Ms. Cards Etiquette is a huge fan of Thinking of You cards. I keep a few handy at all times, in different motifs (elegant and formal, casual or whimsical, business-like, and so on), so I’ll always have one handy when the right moment arrives. Really, in a squeeze, they work for almost anything.