If you love to spend your time completing DIY projects as much as I do, there are certain materials that you should always have on hand. This way, you won’t have to waste half the day heading over to the craft store to get the accessories that you need each time you start a new project. Hang this checklist on your fridge or in your home office to have it handy.
Whether you’re applying glitter to the inside of a mason jar or are adhering pom poms to the trim of a bath towel, you’re going to need something to help these items stick.
- Mod Podge (for all of your decoupage projects)
- Fabric glue
- Glue stick
- Hot glue gun
- Clear adhesive spray
- Wood glue
If you only have regular Scotch tape available, you’ll need to bulk up your tape collection with these items. Not all tape is created equal.
- Washi tape: Similar to masking tape, this adhesive comes in a variety of patterns and colors. You can use the crafting tool to decorate everything from party invitations and notebooks to walls, doors and smartphone cases.
- Double-sided tape
- Painter’s tape: This helps you get perfectly even lines whether you’re painting your house keys or your kitchen tools.
Where would crafting be without paper? Here are all the different paper supplies that you’ll want to be stocked up on:
- Colored cardstock
- White cardstock (perfect for printing, stamping and drawing on)
- Kraft paper (can be used as rustic wrapping paper or can be transformed into dinner party menus)
- Paper plates and cups (great for holding paint)
- Scrapbook paper
Even if you don’t do a lot of painting, these brushes will come in handy:
- Sponge brushes
- Large and small art brushes
- Large and small rollers
I’ve found that adding a coat of paint to almost anything can work wonders.
- Chalkboard paint (try covering your refrigerator with a coat of this paint – you’ll never have to hang up a to-do list again; just write directly on the fridge!)
- Glitter paint (because, glitter)
Make it easy to create perfectly even lines with these cutting materials:
- Cutting mat
- X-acto knife
- Fabric scissors
- Rotary cutter (designed to help you easily cut through any fabric)
- Single-hole punch
Whether you want to embellish birthday cards or a T-shirt, you’ll need these items:
- Satin ribbon
It’s important to have an organizational system in place so your craft supplies are accessible when you need to start a project.
- Clear plastic bins: Stack these bins in your crafting room or closet to ensure all of your materials are organized and easy to find.