What to Write in a Christmas Card – Creative Tips for the Poet Inside Us All
Snazzy Christmas Card Sayings for when You’re Stuck
While the universal meanings of Christmas remain unwavering, we all celebrate the holidays a bit differently – this year, show everyone what is truly in your heart by choosing the perfect message to go inside your greeting card.
Knowing what to write in a Christmas card can be difficult, but a little inspiration can go a long way. Set the mood first. Make sure the stockings are hung and the lights are twinkling. Find your perfect Christmas-card-writing-soundtrack with your favorite old movie or holiday playlist. Pour yourself a cup of hot cocoa – add a little Amaretto if you’re so inclined. Slip into some comfy PJ’s and a pair of fluffy slippers. Then grab your pen, cards, envelopes, stamps, and holiday labels, and head to your favorite chair.
If you’re sending more than one type of card organize them into stacks. Perhaps you have designated holiday cards for your professional relationships, friends, and family. Maybe you have specific things you want to say to a choice few people and are going to write them first, or you could save those heartfelt letters for the end – after a few more cups of hot chocolate.
How to work with the Christmas card sayings you already have
Sometimes, it is best to work with what you already have. What you write in a Christmas card can be as simple as putting the person’s name at the top and underlining specific words or verses in a pre-chosen message to accentuate the feelings behind them. However, a hand-written saying at the bottom, be it a quote, expression, or original note will show your recipients that they are on your mind and the extra effort you put forth to tell them so.
What to write in a business Christmas card
Business relationships are tricky, as the wrong message could create more trouble than just an awkward moment at Christmas dinner. The likelihood is you know your family better than your coworkers and clients – Uncle so-and-so may appreciate an occasional off-color joke, but Mr. [insert appropriate name here] is probably better suited for a classic seasonal greeting.
Then, there are the various professional relationships that one builds – from business acquaintances to your close-knit work friends, from employees to supervisors, a brand new customer or a long-time client – all of these categories make for an even more confusing internal debate when you are trying to figure out exactly what to say in a Christmas card.
Here are ten phrases to get you started when you are trying to figure out exactly what to write in a business Christmas card:
- Wishing you a very special thank you for all that you do throughout every season. Have a Merry Christmas and a Happy New Year.
- Warmest wishes to you and yours this holiday season.
- It’s so nice to work alongside people like you. Have a safe and wonderful Christmas. See you in the New Year.
- We just wanted to remind you how much you mean to us this Christmas and all throughout the year. Happy holidays from everyone here at [insert company name].
- Warmest wishes from our entire staff this holiday season.
- Family comes in all shapes and sizes – thanks for being part of ours. Happy holidays!
- From our extended family to yours – Merry Christmas.
- Eat too much, sleep too much, and drink responsibly, but most of all have a Merry Christmas!
- Forget all your troubles this holiday season, but remember to come back to work.
- This Christmas, know that you are thought of always and appreciated more every day.
When choosing the right Christmas card to compliment your perfect verse, pick one that will speak to all of your clients and coworkers. A seasonal ‘thank you’ card could be just the right fit. If people celebrate various holidays around this time of year, select a card that includes standard greetings for multiple faiths. If you have a nice looking company logo, a die-cut card will give a great first impression for your business.
Think of your Christmas card as a way to express those important compliments that may go unspoken throughout most of the year, whether you are talking to a colleague you have only known for a short while or a true friend you have known for years.
What to write in a Christmas card to a friend
Good friends will always be there – whether they are thousands of miles away or right next door, you talk to them every day or once every few months a thoughtful hello around Christmastime will remind them just how much they mean to you.
An inside joke or a tiny bit of nostalgia are nice ways to keep that warm line of communication going. An update on recent events will also help you to maintain a close connection. But a simple verse that expresses the true value of having them in your life will undoubtedly make for a very Merry Christmas.
Here are ten phrases to consider when you are trying to figure out what to write in a Christmas card to a friend:
- The greatest gift you can give someone is friendship – this holiday season I just want to thank you for making my life that much more special.
- If memories were Christmas lights we could brighten up an entire city – I’m so grateful to have a friend like you to share these moments with.
- This Christmas, I just want to say thank you for being you – Have a special holiday and a fantastic New Year!
- The holidays are a time to celebrate friends and family – and those people in our lives who are both, simultaneously and unconditionally. Wishing you the best this season and all throughout the year.
- Our friendship grows stronger with each passing year – thinking of you this Christmas and always.
You may also want to use a noteworthy quote in order to encapsulate you and your friend’s special relationship.
- “A friend is one that knows you as you are, understands where you have been, accepts what you have become, and still, gently allows you to grow.” – William Shakespeare
- “The best mirror is an old friend.” – George Herbert
- “A friend is someone who gives you total freedom to be yourself – and especially to feel, or not feel. Whatever you happen to be feeling at any moment is fine with them. That’s what real love amounts to— letting a person be who they really are.” – Jim Morrison
- “A strong friendship doesn’t need daily conversation or being together. As long as the relationship lives in the heart, true friends never part.” – Anonymous
- “One loyal friend is worth ten thousand relatives.” – Euripides
Reminding your friends about the special part they have played in your life can be very rewarding – it uplifts the spirit and touches the soul in an almost indefinable way. The same is true for the kind words we extend to family. While we may have our feuds and a dusty skeleton or two sitting in our closets, the importance of family should be recognized all year and highlighted throughout every season.
What to write in a Christmas card for family
As the holidays approach, we are given great opportunities to tell our loved ones just how we feel. A well-chosen greeting card, with the perfect verse and personal message, can help us to convey, with flawless articulation, what we sometimes struggle to profess in person.
Pick a Christmas card and corresponding Christmas card sayings that speak to you and your family, whether it is a classical selection or a digital photo card that expresses your joy through your most precious family pictures.
Here are some examples of what to write in a Christmas card to family:
- The joy of family is a gift that keeps on giving all year long.
- Christmas is when we are reminded that the most precious gift of all is spending time with those you love.
- Missing you at Christmastime – let love extend beyond the miles and find its way into your heart.
- Let us never forget the importance of family now and throughout the year – for it is family that makes the holidays more special, the good times better, and the bad times bearable. With immeasurable love – wishing you a very Merry Christmas and a Happy New Year.
- Out of sight, but certainly not out of mind this Christmastime – looking forward to seeing you in the upcoming year.
The perfect quote is also a great way to express your love.
- “The best of all gifts around any Christmas tree: the presence of a happy family all wrapped up in each other.”– Burton Hillis
- “What greater thing is there for human souls than to feel that they are joined for life – to be with each other in silent unspeakable memories.” – George Eliot
- “Families are the compass that guides us. They are the inspiration to reach great heights, and our comfort when we occasionally falter.” – Brad Henry
- “Being a family means you are a part of something very wonderful. It means you will love and be loved for the rest of your life.” – Lisa Weedn
- “From home to home, and heart to heart, from one place to another…the warmth and joy of Christmas, brings us closer to each other.”– Emily Matthews
If you want to get even more personal you can address your Christmas card sayings to specific family members.
For your mom…
A mother is a delicate flower, a courageous lion, and a loving parent all rolled into one.
For your dad…
A father will fight with you, but ultimately he will fight for you. He may not always be your friend, but he will always be your parent. You may not always like him, but he will always love you.
For your grandparents…
“What Children need most are the essentials that grandparents provide in abundance. They give unconditional love, kindness, patience, humor, comfort, lessons in life. And, most importantly, cookies.” – Rudy Giuliani
For your sister…
“For there is no friend like a sister in calm or stormy weather; To cheer one on the tedious way, to fetch one if one goes astray, to lift one if one totters down, to strengthen whilst one stands.” – Christina Rossetti
For your brother…
“Sometimes being a brother is even better than being a superhero.” – Marc Brown
For your significant other…
There is a moment hiding within the morning, sitting like a silent gift waiting for the sun to rise, it’s three simple words that complicate things beautifully, it’s three words that open one’s eyes to an extraordinary world…I love you. I love you now and forever. I love you with all my heart.
What to write in a religious Christmas card
We must also not forget that Christmas gives us the opportunity to celebrate the most important birthday of all time – Jesus Christ. At Christmas, many people rejoice and give thanks for the birth of their savior, Jesus Christ.
Here are ten examples of what to write in a religious Christmas card to remind everyone what the holidays are all about:
- A star is born!
- Jesus loves you!
- At Christmas, we celebrate the birth of a king, and all he has done to give us life.
- God’s greatness shines on you at Christmastime and all throughout the year.
- Happy birthday to Jesus and a Merry Christmas to you.
Sometimes, you may want to use a famous quote to express your love for the Lord and all of his disciples.
- “This is Christmas: not the tinsel, not the giving and receiving, not even the carols, but the humble heart that receives anew the wondrous gift, the Christ.” – Frank McKibben
- “Somehow, not only for Christmas, but all the long year through, the joy that you give to others,
is the joy that comes back to you.” – John Greenleaf Whittier
- “Where there is faith, there is love; where there is love, there is peace; where there is peace, there is God; and where there is God; there is no need.” – Leo Tolstoy
- “Christmas is not a time or a season but a state of mind. To cherish peace and good will, to be plenteous in mercy, is to have the real spirit of Christmas. If we think on these things, there will be born in us a Savior and over us will shine a star sending its gleam of hope to the world.” – Calvin Coolidge
- “Every good gift and every perfect gift is from above, coming down from the Father of lights with whom there is no variation or shadow due to change.” – James 1:17
Christmas card sayings for landscape cards
Warm winter wishes, greetings from the city, and a cordial salutation extended from the perfect natural landscape are other ways to send a Christmas card that is unique to you – here are a few Christmas card sayings to include inside:
- Oh, the weather outside is 86° and sunny – wishing you were here! Have a Merry Christmas and a Happy New Year.
- Throughout the city music plays, lights dance, and snowflakes fall, but nothing is as wonderful as hearing your voice, seeing your face, and wrapping my arms around you. Can’t wait to see you this Christmas!
- “Christmas waves a magic wand over this world, and behold, everything is softer and more beautiful.”– Norman Vincent Peale
What to write in a Christmas card to show your sympathy
In some cases, you may also want to express your sympathy to someone in need of your love and support this holiday season. Here are some verses that will help you do that:
- Their unmistakable laughter, their inimitable smile, and their unforgettable grace were gifts too precious for this world – now we can hear them always and see them everywhere we go. This Christmas we give thanks for a remarkable person, family member, and friend.
- The holidays can be hard, but together or apart our family is bonded forever.
- In this world and the next – through space and time and the heavens above – there is nothing that can stifle our undying love. Thinking of you this holiday season and all throughout the year.
- “When you are sorrowful look again in your heart, and you shall see that in truth you are weeping for that which has been your delight.” – Kahlil Gibran
Trendy, humorous, and animal-friendly Christmas card sayings
On the lighter side of the holidays, trendy holiday cards, humorous quips, and animal greetings are other ways to address your recipients this holiday season. Here are a few Christmas card sayings from each category to help carry out your ideal message:
- A toast to good times, great friends, and a Merry Christmas!
- “We’ll be friends ’til we’re old and senile … Then we’ll be new friends!” — Anonymous
- Seasons Grrrrrreatings! Have a purrrrfect Christmas and a doggone good New Year! [Sign your pets names]
Christmas card closing
You have picked out the perfect card, chosen the perfect verse, now it is time for a tasteful closing to complete your seasonal sentiments. Below, are some great closings when you are trying to figure out just what to write in a Christmas card:
There is nothing quite like receiving a personal Christmas card. The right Christmas card sayings placed inside the ideal card can have a tremendously positive effect on someone’s day, week, month, or even year. A few words can change the world, and while you may not be aiming for such a drastic transformation, a simple smile or the subtle notion that someone is thinking of you can make all the difference in someone’s life. For some more great ideas on how to pass on your goodwill to others, click here.